Match Reports - 21st January 2017

Ballymena Ladies 1st XI (2) v (0) Ballyclare Ladies 1st XI

Saturday 21st January

Senior League 1

This weekend, Ballymena played against a strong Ballyclare side and came out on top with a 2-0 win!

The Ballymena girls started off strong, dominating Ballyclare throughout the first half and creating a lot of pressure around their goal, however, despite many good attempts to score, it was Clare Gillespie who broke the deadlock from the top of the circle following a well-placed pass from Emily Anderson. The game quickly became physical but Ballymena defended well against Ballyclare, stopping all of their advances on goal.

The second half provided a plethora of opportunities for Ballymena, as they continued their strong attacking mood and won many penalty corners against the tiring Ballyclare side. Ballymena’s unfaltering determination paid off when Gillespie scored her second goal of the match, putting Ballymena comfortably in the lead in the middle of the second half. With seconds to go, Gillespie sent an excellent pass up field to Rebecca Reynolds who successfully evaded the keeper, but unfortunately the whistle blew moments too soon for a third Ballymena goal. The final score was 2-0.

Team: J. Davis (GK), A. Crooks, E. Clarke, C. Gillespie(C), G. McBurney, K. Young,

R. Reynolds, S. Smith, S. Morrison , E. Anderson, A. Logan, G. McCready,

E. Alexander

Ballymena Ladies 2nd XI (0) v (3) Lisnagarvey Ladies 3rd XI

Saturday 21st January

Junior League 2

Winning the away game of this tie Ballymena hoped to double the points at home on Saturday, but a quick paced Garvey attack had other ideas!  In the opening fifteen minutes Ballymena found themselves having to defend to keep the game level.  Once the home side finally did settle their passing and movement brought several good chances with good right wing play from Sam Agnew and Erin Park supported in field by Natalie Sye and Laura Logan.  However, time and again the final pass eluded the Ballymena forwards Whyte and McMaster.  The first goal came late in the half as Garvey against the run of play broke quickly on a counter attack and with numbers in possession took the lead 1-0.

At the break Ballymena knew the next goal was the key, but again soon after the restart another counter attack gave the away side a 2-0 lead and a mountain to climb for the home side!  Digging in though, Ballymena continued to battle with excellent commitment from Ashleigh Harbinson driving the Ballymena attack forward, but Garvey had strength in defence to wrestle the ball away.  As Ballymena pushed for a goal to get them back into the game, Garvey added a third before the end to seal the victory and the 3 points.

Thanks to Hugh Ramsey and Dave Bradley for umpiring

Team: L. Hanna(GK), A. Harbinson, H. Dickey, N. Sye(C), R. Barr, E. Park, S. Agnew, E. Johnston, L. Logan, N. Sye, R. Whyte, L. McClintock, K. McMaster, E. Clarke, N. Greer.

Ballymena Ladies 3rd XI (1) v (5) Queens Ladies 4th XI

Saturday 21st January

Junior League 5

The Ladies 3rd XI hosted Queens at home this weekend.

Both teams started strongly, passing the ball well and although Queens were first to score mid-way through the first half, Ballymena equalised quickly from a ball passed from Emma Johnston into the circle and slotted past the visiting keeper by Charlene Lormier. Ballymena continued to defend defiantly with quick runs from Ruth Barr keeping the pressure on Queens during penalty corners! Queens did score another just before the end of the first half to take the lead into the break at 2-1.

Ballymena again started well in the second half, creating chances in the Queens circle but were unable to convert.  It wasn’t long before the visitors fitness paid off as Ballymena conceded three further goals to make it 5-1 to Queens at the final whistle!

Thanks to Aimee Logan for umpiring.

Team: R. Jones(GK), E. Johnston(C), C. Lorimer, S. French, L. Burrows, E. McDowell,

E. Friel, L. McClintock, L. Symrell, C. Farquhar, E. Johnston, J. Kennedy,

G. Mann, R. Barr, L. Brownlee

Mossley Men’s 5th XI (1) v (6) Ballymena Men’s 1st XI

Friday 20th January

Junior League 4

Ballymena Men’s 1sts travelled to Mossley on Friday evening and after a few minutes spent adjusting to the conditions, Ballymena got into their stride when sweeper Chris Hogg picked out Alex Mckeown at the back post for a tap in. After another well worked move won Ballymena a penalty corner which resulted in a slick low drag finish from Glenn Whitten for a two goal lead. Ballymena dominated possession and moved the ball well around the back four and one such move saw the right back break and cross into the circle where Andy Linford  engaged the keeper and slid a square pass for Whitten to finish at the back post for his second.  

The last move of the half saw Mossley intercept a ball in the Ballymena half and break to score to make it 3-1 at halftime. 

Ballymena started quickly in the second half and forced a series of penalty corners. Yet again Whitten converted with a strong low drag to complete his hat trick. Ballymena got their fifth from a quick break when Whitten broke clear from his own half to unselfishly set up Andy Lormier for a tap in at the back post. Ballymena saved the best to last when they scored their final goal. A sharp series of one two passes in the middle of the park involving Linford and Davis saw Ethan Archer provide a great finish off the post into the Mossley goal to make

it 6-1. Mossley changed their shape and continued to press Ballymena and forced a smart reaction save from McNabb in the Ballymena goal.

Ballymena would like to thank Davy Lormier for umpiring and next Saturday Ballymena take on Newry 2nds at home. 

Team: R.Nabb(GK), G. Tumlinson, C. Hogg, A. Bell, D. McDonald, A. Linford, C. Fulton (c),

C. Davis, E. Archer, A. McKeown, A. Lormier, G. Whitten. 

Ballymena Men’s 2nd XI (2) v (3) Raphoe Men’s 2nd XI

Saturday 21st January

Junior League 6

Ballymena Men’s 2nds were at home to Raphoe in the late game at the Academy on Saturday.  In an evenly contested first half, which eventually settled down into a good game of hockey, Ballymena had the edge, and opened the scoring from a pass into the circle from Sam Glass that saw Phil Nichol deflect the ball home past the advancing keeper.

Excellent defending from McDowell, Bradley and Grimason kept the visitors at bay until the end of the half where good off the ball movement and pace rewarded Raphoe with an equaliser.

Into the second half and Raphoe took the lead, when a goal bound shot was deflected off McDowell’s facemask, resulting in a penalty flick that young Matthew Orr was unlucky not to save!  Ballymena continued to work hard with good passing exchanges from Glass, Montgomery and Hutchinson, but it was Mark Allison who’s pace and outrageous reverse shot on goal from a narrow angle, that was deflected in, to level the game at 2-2 with around ten minutes to go.

In a frantic final period both teams went for glory and a lucky bounce for Raphoe from a long ball into the circle saw the deflection tip past Orr for a 3-2 lead to the visitors.  In the dying seconds Ballymena almost levelled again when Hanna drilled the ball across the goal for Grimason only to miss the touch by millimetres and give Raphoe the victory 3-2.

Team: M. Orr(GK), D. McDowell, A. Hanna, P. Moody(C), J. Grimason, M. Alison, D. Bradley

P. Montgomery J. Hutchinson, P. Nicholl, K. McConnaghie, A. Lorimer, S. Glass

(Please login/register to leave a comment)